Finding the perfect balance between career and personal life seems impossible in today’s society. Thanks to technology, employers can reach out to their staff 24/7. Customers can also communicate with business owners and customer service representatives at any time. No wonder many people, especially men, find it necessary to spend more time fulfilling their jobs. Although this is beneficial for the business, it can be extremely stressful and toxic for some people.
Workaholics tend to cope well with the situations mentioned above. Ambitious men who have big dreams usually don’t mind spending most of their time doing tasks related to building their careers. Most of them believe that spending more time at work will help them achieve their goals. Thus, they are willing to sacrifice their time with family and friends to make sure that they accomplish their daily tasks. Doing this will definitely help people improve their careers. Some of them may receive a promotion while others are granted a higher salary or a bonus. Unfortunately, this may lead to poor health, ruined relationships, and a lack of opportunity to spend time for fun and exciting things.
Surefire Ways to Quitting Workaholism
If you want to raise your quality of life, you need to be extremely mindful of the way you spend your days. This means you need to organize your schedule and ensure that you have time to perform activities outside work. The process may not be easy, but you need to take the first step to change unhealthy habits. Here are some suggestions to help you start finding the balance between career and personal life:
- Work smart, not hard—Change your behavior towards your job. Instead of spending long hours at work, find a way to finish your tasks immediately. You can rely on productivity and time-management tools so you can organize your tasks accordingly. Also, learn to tackle one task at a time. Avoid multitasking so you can focus more on accomplishing urgent tasks first.
- Schedule time for non-work related activities—Make sure that you fix your schedule to have extra time outside work. Workaholics tend to have a full calendar of activities, but most of them are related to their careers. It’s time that you change this behavior and start organizing your schedule. Find time for socializing, relaxation, or fun activities.
- Learn how to set boundaries—People who love working often tend to accept tasks even outside work hours. If you can relate to this situation, you need to start setting boundaries. Learn to say no, especially if you are asked to perform work-related activities outside the designated work schedule. Your employer may expect you to be on standby 24/7, but you need to take the initiative to let them know that you have to spend time for yourself and your family. After logging off from work, you need to focus on doing things that are not related to your job. If your employer asks you to work on something, let them know that you will work on it when you return to the office.
- Reconnect with family and friends—If you have spent most of your time alone, it’s time to reconnect with your loved ones. Reach out to your family and friends and find ways to spend quality time with them. For instance, you can ask your spouse to accompany you to check out the men’s denim sale. After this, you can invite them to eat out at a fancy restaurant or enjoy a family dinner at home. You can also meet with your friends and do fun things together.
- Monitor your health—It would be best if you also prioritize taking care of yourself. Make sure to make an appointment with your doctor. This way, you can monitor your health status. Taking care of your health also helps in reminding you about the importance of taking things slow. This means you have to listen to your body, especially when it’s affected by your workaholism.
You need to understand that shortening the time you spend at work will not hurt your career. It will only help you prioritize your personal life and ensure that you have time for family and friends. It will also help you take breaks from your busy schedule, which helps you find a chance to enjoy your me-time. This doesn’t make you less productive or less ambitious. In fact, it may even help you reach your goals earlier than expected. Achieving an ideal work-life balance will help you appreciate the things that really matter. Also, you get to improve the way you view yourself, so you realize the essence of raising your self-worth. Set boundaries at work and ensure that you take control over the way you spend your time. This way, you get to reach your goals while doing things you love besides your career.